In Adventure Guides, parents* and children develop healthy relationships, gain a sense of belonging, and learn the importance of giving back to the community through one-on-one interactions, activities with other families, and community service projects. At the heart of the program are the Compass Points, which give members a sense of direction and an inspiration for activities:
• Family. Family is “true north”—the focal point of the program.
• Nature. The natural world and the camping experience are integral parts of the program.
• Community. The spirit of the program is experienced through belonging to a small community—the Circle.
• Fun. Fun is the magic of the program. The Y’s core values—caring, honesty, respect, and responsibility—make up the other guiding principles of the program.
*At the Y, we welcome all families. We define the term parents broadly to include all adults with primary responsibility for raising children: biological parents, adoptive parents, guardians, stepparents, grandparents raising children, or any other type of parenting relationship. All are welcome and encouraged to be guides in raising children for whom they are responsible or to whom they have committed to being a positive a adult role model.
Registration is now open! Program will run October 2023 – June 2024. Locations, dates & times will vary by group.
Frequently Asked Questions
Learn more about Adventure Guides by expanding a question below.
What is Adventure Guides?
Adventure Guides is a YMCA program that helps to foster the parent*/child relationship to create lifelong meaningful memories. YMCA parent*/child programs are purposefully designed to accompany the parent and child on a journey of discovery.
Who can join Adventure Guides?
What are the fees for Adventure Guides?
Adventure Guides fees are per pair: $150 FM |$250 CM
Each additional child: $75 FM | $125 CM
Adventure guides fees are a one-time fee for the program session (October-June) and cover basic supplies and programming.
Additional fees may apply for the optional group activities such as group outings and the overnight campout.
What are the goals of Adventure Guides?
• Build a sense of self-esteem and personal worth
• Provide a framework to meet a mutual need for spending enjoyable, constructive, and quality time together
• Enhance the quality of family time
• Emphasize the vital role that the adult plays in the growth and development of their child
• Offer an important and unique opportunity to develop and enjoy volunteer leadership skills
What do Adventure Guides do?
Typical activities include:
• Songs and skits
• Offsite activities
• Groups will join together throughout the year for events.
Who are Guides and Explorers?
What is a circle?
A circle is a group of 8-10 Guide and Explorer pairs.
Circles meet together once or twice a month. Circle activities may include the monthly meeting, parent meetings, community service projects, and offsite activities.
What are your payment and cancellation policies?
• Payment is due at the time of registration.
• Full refund is granted if request is made prior to the start of Adventure Guides
• 50% refund is given if request is made within your first month
• No refund is given after your first month
Is financial assistance available?
Do I have to be a YMCA member to register?
When registering for Adventure Guides online, you may be prompted to select a membership type. To register for Adventure Guides without joining as a Y member, select the membership type, “Non-Member”. This membership type will add no cost to your purchase.
Everett YMCA Circles
Mill Creek YMCA Circles
Stanwood-Camano YMCA Circles